3.25.2013

30 Day Challenge Resumed

I took a hiatus from the 30 Day Challenge.

Let's be real.
I quit.

I ate a lot of bananas slathered with almond butter.  I got drunk a couple of times.  I had a few perfectly baked molasses cookies made with rye flour.  They were good.  It was all good, at the time, and then it felt like shit later on. 

Meanwhile, I kept up my gym workouts and dragged my hungover ass out for runs.  Beans made it through the end of her Four Month Regression and emerged her happy bubbly little self.  We spent forty-five minutes today making high-pitched trills and squeals back and forth at each other on the bed.  Life is good.

But I realized something this morning as I trotted down the three flights of concrete steps from the parking garage to the gym:  I quit the challenge because I didn't care enough about my goals. 

I mean, I'd like to see my abs again, but this is not a huge motivating factor in my day-to-day life.  My weight is fine where it is.  Yes, I'd like to lose the last few pounds, but I mean, I don't really care that much.  So what, then, do I really care about, that I'd like to challenge myself with for thirty days?

Well, I'd like to make sure my diet is as clean as possible.  I went through What to Expect The First Year and read up on postpartum nutrients needed for making really superb breastmilk.  They are:  3 servings protein, 3 servings vitamin C foods, 2-3 servings green and yellow veg, 2 more servings other fruit and veg, 5 servings calcium-rich foods, 5 servings grains, and 1 serving iron-rich food.  I'm writing this from memory, but that's basically it. 

I can use this as motivation to stop eating so many goddamned bananas. 
How gold-plated are my problems, that I'm worried about how many bananas I'm eating?

Shh.

I ate my last banana tonight.  It was number four today.  There will be no more bananas, and we're out of almond butter.  This is kind of a big deal.

The bigger deal is that I want to get back to my writing. 
And this should be my challenge. 

But I don't want to start this challenge until April 1, because my mom is coming later this week and I don't want that to get in the way right at the start.

So the deal is, when she's gone and Easter is over and I've eaten all of Bean's candy, I'm going to start writing every day, for at least one hour (1 nap +15 minutes). 

And until then, no bananas.

No comments:

Post a Comment