3.16.2013

30 Day Challenge: Day 2

There's something we should talk about.

I have this obsession...


But first, let's go over what I ate yesterday.

6 AM:  banana with raw organic almond butter (200)
9 AM:  scottish oatmeal with ground flax seeds, chia seeds, and goat yogurt (400)
1 PM:  steak, rice, almond milk (580)
4 PM:  cup of cuban black beans with sofrito, field greens with miso-herb dressing, half an avocado, and a grilled zucchini (420)
5 PM:  banana with raw organic almond butter (200)
7 PM:  pudla (chickpea-flour pancake filled with mushrooms, red peppers, scallions, and cilantro) (400)
9 PM:  banana with raw organic almond butter (200)

Do you see a theme, anywhere?

Yes, it's the banana.  The three bananas.  Which are simply potassium-packed vehicles for my obsession with almond butter.  It used to be a peanut butter obsession-- almond butter pales in comparison for sure-- but Beans showed some symptoms of intolerance to peanuts in my diet during my first few weeks of breastfeeding.

Peanut butter is my favorite food, so that felt kind of unfair.

Fortunately, if you grind up pretty much any nut or seed into a paste, I will eat it with glee.  Sesame tahini?  You betcha.  Sunflower seed butter?  Lord yes.  Pecan butter?  I cream my pants.

I've also cut sugar out of my diet entirely in the last few weeks, (except for day before yesterday, when I ate three of the frozen fig newtons that I made a couple months ago, and also a handful of chocolate chips when I thought Brian wasn't watching.  He was standing right behind me.) and in doing so, I seem to have replaced it with bananas-- the final frontier of quick-digesting calories.  I eat a banana in the morning before the gym and that's fine, but the ones in the afternoon and evening are more stress-related than anything.  They're treats.  I don't need them, and I should cut them out.

Except, I've already had two bananas today.

And honestly, the second one was just so I could take a photo of it.
The sacrifices I make for this blog.  Really.


My workout this morning was a little better than yesterday's, though I'm pretty tired today.

3 mile run
Chin-ups from dead hang (3, 3, 2) -- getting better!  Not quite back to the ten I used to be able to knock out, but it's definitely an improvement.
Assisted wide-grip pull-up (superset after chin-ups):  3 sets.  Did as many as I could with 18 lbs. assistance, and then went up 6 lbs. at a time until I'd completed 20 reps (topped out at 48 lbs. assistance)
Seated cable row (close grip):   3 sets of 12 with 75 lbs.
Dumbbell biceps curl:  3 sets of 12 with 17.5 lbs. each
Dumbbell outer curl:  3 sets of 10 with 12.5 lbs. each
Cross-over BOSU crunch:  3 sets of 25 each

Yesterday was not the easiest day:  Beans refused to nap after noon, and so we were up for 8 straight fairly-screamy hours.  But once she went to bed, I made one of the simplest and dinners I've made in a long time.

Pudla is a Pakistani dish, as far as I can tell.  It's a vegan pancake made from garbanzo flour thickened with water and lime juice and seasoned with cumin and turmeric.  I filled ours with lots of chopped veggies and herbs and fried them to a crispy golden brown in a little bit of olive oil.  Garbanzo flour is inexpensive, high-protein, and high-fiber.  Start to finish, including prep and clean-up, this recipe took me 15 minutes.  It's going to be one of my go-to lunches, and I look forward to playing with the filling.  I think it would be great with some garam masala thrown in, or with fresh garlic and ginger.  Spinach, peas, leftover veggies, carrots... I'll probably even try adding some cooked cooled quinoa in there at some point.

Pudla

Makes 2 pancakes, each about 8" in diameter

1.5 c. garbanzo flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1.5 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. turmeric
2 tbsp. fresh lime juice (one lime should yield enough)
1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1 c. cremini mushrooms, halved and thinly sliced
1/4 c. chopped scallions (green and white parts)
3 tbsp. chopped cilantro
olive oil

Begin heating your pan while you mix your ingredients.  I used a cast iron skillet, which I find cooks these more evenly than lighter pans.  You'll want to heat it to about medium-high, in order to get the crispy golden exterior on the pancake and still allow it enough time to cook the inside thoroughly.  The raw batter tastes pretty nasty, so be sure to cook these well.  

In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.  Pour in enough water, whisking constantly, to make a very thick but pourable batter.  Whisk in the lime juice.  Stir in veggies and herbs.  Add about a tablespoon of oil to the pan and swirl to coat well.  Add half the batter and smooth it into a 8" circle.  Allow it to cook, just like a regular pancake, until bubbles form and remain open across the surface of the cake and the bottom is a rich and crispy golden brown.  Flip and cook the other side.  Serve with yogurt, spicy pickles, or good chutney.  

           

No comments:

Post a Comment